Caltech's Response to COVID-19
Caltech's first priority is the health and safety of its students, faculty, staff, and community. In consultation and accordance with local public health authorities, Caltech has resumed limited on-campus activities that directly support the research enterprise and the well-being of the community. However, new Protocols for Institutes of Higher Education issued by Los Angeles County in light of the COVID-19 pandemic preclude in-person instruction and on-campus dormitory living for the fall term.
Caltech employees who can work remotely are asked to continue to do so. On-campus events and gatherings, with the exception of those related to constitutionally protected freedoms, are also prohibited.
The select individuals who have been asked to return are required to do the following:
- Practice physical distancing;
- Follow one-way signage that guides traffic through campus buildings;
- Wear a cloth face covering;
- Perform health monitoring and reporting prior to coming, which includes taking your daily temperature; and
- Use the Caltech COVID-19 Reporting application to affirm that you have been free of COVID-19 symptoms for the preceding 14 days, and to record locations visited for 15 minutes or more on campus during the course of that work day.
As of September 25, Caltech has had a total of 24 reported COVID-19 cases among the campus community. Additional information on testing, contact tracing, and reported cases can be found on the COVID-19 Cases, Testing, and Tracing page, which will be updated every weekday by 2 p.m. PDT.
Caltech will continue to work with local public health officials to monitor this situation and expeditiously contact individuals who may be at risk of exposure.
Policies and Protocols
Caltech community members should familiarize themselves with the following policies and protocols that have been adopted to mitigate transmission of COVID-19 within the community.
- Graduate Student Community Health and Hygiene Policy
- Undergraduate Health and Hygiene Policy for the 2020-21 Academic Year
- Guide for Returning to the Workplace
- Institute Guidelines for the Use of Face Coverings
- Travel Quarantine Instructions
Additional information on protocols, local health orders, and directive is available in Additional Resources. Information on the particular steps needed to take before coming to campus is available in the Return to Campus pages.